Sunday, February 17, 2008

globalization in my hometown

Since I'm from a small town in rural Virginia, I have never really noticed a lot of globalization. All of the homes still have dial-up Internet connections if any at all. A lot of houses do not even have satellite TV, they still rely on an antenna that sits on top of the house. My family just got wireless this fall and we did not get more than 5 channels until 1997. There is no diversity in my town and if you do not speak English then you can not get a job. I am sure globalization has affected business in the town but as of right now I am not sure how.

Has anyone else seen the effects of globalization in their hometowns?

2 comments:

WALTER said...

I'm originally from Guatemala, so I guess that where ever I go I'll be the reason why the neighborhood becomes more diverse. I don't know if it's that we like to be around our "own kind" but we have always lived around Hispanics or other races. I have seen diversity my whole life in the schools, church, or jobs I have been in. I have never payed any attention to the effects of globalization. Its kind of funny thought because as diverse as Dale City is, Im stuck with dial up also because no other company offers DSL in my neighborhood.

Maddie said...

Oh wow, what rural town are you from? I'm rather curious. I'm from Woodbridge, so that's a hugely diverse area, just like here pretty much. I have a cable DSL and a satellite dish though. They are both recent additions to my household, but still, we do have them.